Plati of Messinia is located
kilometers at northwest of the capital city of . It got the name
Plati in 1927 by the plateau of the river Pamisos that passes outside of the
village. The older name was Baista. Kalamata
Platy is a village with rich religious and historical tradition. The most important monument is the
, built in 1830 – 1890 by
Arcadian builders from Lagadia. It is rumored that the Church of Assumption was designed by Ziller. The icons and
hagiographies are created by the teachers Fotis Kontoglou and Mimis Spyridon
Pelekasis. The church is cruciform basilica with a dome and is among the
largest temples in Messinia. It is considered monument of modern architectural
heritage, is preserved and protected by the Ministry of Culture. Temple
Near Plati there is the famous Bastogefyro, an interesting stone bridge of 1950.
One of the most important events, not only in Plati, but throughout Messinia , is the horse races, which take place every year on April 23rd, the day of Saint Georgios, a custom which dates back to the last years of Ottoman rule. The games take place at the hippodorme, a dirt road of one kilometer and a width of
10 meters, starting from
the chapel of Saint Georgios and reaching to the village.
Οι διαφημίσεις εμφανίζονται εδώ